Tuesday, December 3, 2013

One Year Later....

Where has the time gone??  It's hard to believe that 1 year ago today we saw this sweet girl for the very first time....

Be still my heart!

 
She was amazingly brave that day in the commotion of it all.  There were 7 other families meeting their sons and daughters for the first time.  It was loud and noisy.  There was crying in other parts of the room. We can't help but watch and re-watch the videos our boys took of those first moments.   And, I can't help but be in awe of her.  At only 3 1/2 years old, she had so many disruptions in her little life.  Being left at the orphanage gate at 3 months old.  Loved on at the House of Love in Guilin when she needed additional care.  Moved into foster care (thank you to whomever sponsored our Emily monthly so that she could have a family).  Numerous surgeries and long hospital stays. Separations from her foster parents while she was in the hospital for those days on end. A 6 hour long ride that morning to get to us. Leaving the only family she had ever truly known.  It hurts to think about that.  Therefore, I was prepared (at least I like to think I was...I'm sure in reality I wouldn't have been) for her to come to us grieving and sobbing.  Yet she was smiling.  Calling out her gege's (brothers) name.  Calling me mama.  Leaning over without any prompting and kissing me!!   I will never forget those emotional moments.  Here is a link to our video if you haven't seen it before:
 
 
Emily loves to watch the videos of her first days with us. She loves to replay those moments. Our viewing sessions always end with huge hugs and kisses and lots of giggles too.   I am especially grateful for her foster family.   She talks often about her mama-e-ah as she calls her, her foster mama. She has told us several stories and we know without any doubt she was dearly loved by them. They gave her a tremendous gift.  
They prepared her little heart for us.
 
So, where HAS the time gone??! 
We have all been reflecting on the past year and are just amazed at how far she has come.  She is definitely our little princess and we can't imagine life without her!!!

 
 
 
She is so completely loved by her big brothers....
 
 
 
 
 
 I knew they would be great big brothers.  What I wasn't prepared for is how FULL my heart is watching them all together.  They don't just love her.....they adore her. If she's not snuggling on Kyle's lap, she can be found playing with Seth.  She proclaims daily to us and to them, "I LOOOOVVVVE Brothers!"    I can't even begin to describe how she has completely wrapped her little self (and she does this literally too...she's our little monkey and gives the best hugs ever!)  around us and our hearts.  I am so blessed to be their mom!
 
 Emily is still quite the peanut.  She has gained about 4 pounds since being home and is now 28 pounds and is 38" tall.  She certainly LOVES big though.  She is so affectionate and always gives us lots of hugs and kisses. Her language is exploding. She talks non-stop and amazes us at times with her vocabulary and the things she already knows and things she remembers.  She loves to dance and sing, and has an amazing imagination.   She can be quite stubborn and certainly likes to get her own way (what 4 year old doesn't?!), but is also very funny and makes us laugh!
 



Her referral file said she was very afraid of animals..

 
 
Not anymore!!  She loves going to Aunt Heidi's house! Lots of animals to play with and ride there.
 
She loves spending time with her cousins.  For awhile, she would call her cousins, "friends."  This English language is complicated,  you know!  Now she understands that they are her cousins and she looks forward to seeing them as much as possible!
 
 

 
Here are some random photos of our year....
 
learning to ride a bike
 
 

 
Getting a ride in Pa's big tractor.  (the same little girl who used to be afraid of every loud noise)

 




 Learning that potatoes grow in the ground! Wish you could have heard her exclaim, "WOW, look at that!"
 
 
One of our favorite things to do, and now Emily's favorite things to do is to go camping.  We had a great time this summer going on several camping trips with our friends, the Cable's.
 






We often find Emily in the strangest positions.....

I think it is a family trait...her Aunt Janeen used to spend lots of time like this!

And, apparently, now so does her big brother Seth!


She loves to draw and do crafts...


Emily had trouble holding a pencil and pushing/pulling it across the paper to make a line when we brought her home! 

Working on a self-portrait to send to her foster mama! 
 
 
 


 
She loves to go swimming!


 





 
 
Another one of her favorite things is her blankie.  Emily always needs her beloved blankie anywhere and everywhere she goes. (thank you, Lynn!)

 

She loves to dress up and was Cinderella for Halloween!
 


 
Must be thinking about all the yummy candy Grammy gave her! 
 
 
 
 
We all think she's just beautiful....
inside and out
 

She is my biggest fan...
 
 
 
And I love her so much!

We are often told that we are such a blessing to her.  In fact, it is just the opposite.  She is such a blessing to us.  It makes me tear up to think what we could have missed out on.  Emily has taught me so much in one short year.  It is such a privilege to be this beautiful little girl's mama.  I can't wait to see what the next year holds! Love you to the moon and back, my sweet girl!


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry. love you and sweet little, big hearted Emily!! beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you wrote a new post for your blog. I was just thinking about Emily the other day! I bet your Dad loved showing her the potatoes and loves telling the story too! Maybe I'll get to see you all in a few weeks at the family get together. We should be there! :-)
    -Sarah Posid

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy anniversary! What a doll! So happy she fits so perfectly into your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Gotcha Family Day. So glad to see an update, have been checking every now and then. She is beautiful and looks so happy. Glad all is well. Hoping you continue to blog at least every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping you'd have an end of year update and you did! What a wonderful year with your beautiful girl! Hope you had a joyful holiday season! Jamie Trickle

    ReplyDelete