Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Officially Emily Grace Dunkle: Adoption Day


Today was Adoption Day! Emily is now officially OURS!!! :)  She woke up happy and has been that way all day!!  She was so excited to see everyone this morning and her new clothes and shoes! 


We headed down for breakfast and Emily once again ate almost everything we offered.  In China, breakfast is the main meal and they serve dishes that Americans would normally eat  only for dinner.  Therefore, we have been eating things like fried rice and noodles and dumplings for breakfast!  Emily is definitely a noodle girl just like her baba!  She is just so sweet and you should see her table manners!! Definitely NOT what I was expecting! Whenever something starts to fall off of her plate, she gently pushes it back on with her fork.  When eating her congee, which is very overcooked rice mashed up like a thick soup, if she misses her mouth or any drips, she used her spoon to completely clean her face.  Not a drop of food anywhere on her!  And she is 3 1/2!!!!!  At one point, someone handed her something.  I can't even remember now what it was, and she said "Thank you!!"  She is a little parrot and is picking up so many words already.  We can easily understand her, which is another praise with her little cleft lip and palate! Her file said that her words were unclear.  Definitely not!! 

We then met our guide Caroline, and headed to the notary office to do some paperwork.
Then we headed back to the Civil Affairs office where we met Emily the day before to finalize the adoption.  When we got there she got all excited.  I wasn't sure what she was thinking , but THIS is what she was remembering.  She knew what was in that building!





When it was time to go do paperwork, she left the playroom area without any meltdowns or fussing!  (ok, I realize it has only been 24 hours, and we will see that at some point, but she is making this feel really easy right now!!)   Communicating with her has been a breeze, and now that I think about it, our guide has not needed to translate anything between us AT ALL!!! She is so easygoing.  She fits right in with our family!  Oh my, have I said I just LOVE this girl!!??!!!!!

We had to state why we wanted to adopt Emily, answer if we were 'pleased with her' (ABSOLUTELY!!), promise to never abandon her, to take good care of her, and to give her a good future.  We then signed and marked our signatures with a red thumbprint.



Look who's cute little toes turned red!!  She thought that was funny!



 Our sweet girl with Mr. Lee from Guilin SWI. 


Emily eargerly waved and said, "Bye bye" to Mr. Lee when we were all done.  He laughed and asked Emily a question with a funny grin on his face.  She leaned in close to hear what he was saying in Chinese and then spun around and gave her baba a fiercely big hug and held on.  We all laughed and knew instantly that he was teasing her and asking her to choose if she wanted to go back.  She picked baba!

She is such a joy!  She has lots of energy, but nothing any different than a normal toddler. Her brothers just love her and my parents got to watch today on Skype as she ran between the four of us throwing her arms around our necks in big hugs and kisses over and over again.    She is already picking up so many English words. The boys were singing the ABC song to her and she recited them herself up to the letter I!!!  Today after lunch she learned, "I love you" which completely melts us all to pieces. 

She is napping right now and I just can't help but to stare at her. She is our little princess and I can't imagine our life without her!



8 comments:

  1. Awesome I can't believe she is learning English already! That is awesome! Good job Emily! Tell everyone I said hi! Cole Cable:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww! She sounds so, so sweet! I can't wait to meet her someday! So happy that you are having such a great time with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are just so thrilled for all of you! God is so good!! - I was sitting here thinking as I scrolled through all of the "Gotcha Day" pictures again... Can you imagine what "Gotcha Day" in Heaven will be like if it is so beautiful here on earth? I imagine Father God's heart nearly bursts at the seams with love and pride when He welcomes one of His children home! What a glorious day to look forward to! In the meantime, enjoy each new experience with Emily and PLEASE be sure to keep the updates and pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayer is an amazing thing. It can make a difference in our sweet kiddos transitions. Thank you for sharing your wonderful gift. We will keep praying for continued smooth transition. Take care.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Emily's story is so inspirational! I feel like I know her already. Hope to see you at the next family gathering. Hugs, Melanie

    PS. If you see any other yellow-haired people, Mark's brother is in China right now on business followed by vacation on Sanya island. It's a big country though;) My sister (in law) was born in China.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another milestone to remember! How wonderful for your family! See when you come home!
    The Palmers

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have laughed and cried as we read these postings, thank you so much for the joy you have shared with us, what a blessing.. I want to be a Dunkle too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you guys! My mom cried while reading this! I can't wait to meet little Emily. :-)

    ReplyDelete